lastFM: past, and future (, and CBS, spotify, libreFM)

This is from a chat we had 2 days ago, about:

  • a user who had 400k scrobbles in a week
  • lastfm: past, and future (database update, ...)


tere: it can't even be possible if you sleep-listen. more than 1k songs in a week is insane

me:
    I guess it depends...
    7-10h/day is not what avg family person can do, yes.

    Could be: people w. music jobs, music addicts, people w. lots of time...

    e.g.: avg 3mins per song, makes: 3k mins
    =50h, makes >7h per day avg listening

    4mins per song = 9.5h/day

    The more, the crazier

tere: i said that because i just saw a profile with 400k scrobbles in a week

me:
    that's indeed #crazy...
    I remember cases where people (e.g. #itunes users) #scrobble their library once in a while

tere: OMFG how can they even do that?!

me:
    e.g. when #bugs happened (server-side), and people could not #scrobble in parallel; importing new accounts...

    but I remember somewhere in my old cells there was a limit also... 5k? guess I've to search in old pages... #todo


tere: i'd die if i had to change my lastfm account... i'm so addicted to scrobbling i have to scrobble EVERYTHING i listen to lol. i used to scrobble a lot when i was younger because i had more free time but some of the people i follow cross the line

me:
    I'm also addicted to #lastfm !!!

    When people #scrobble 2 much, or bot-like... they get "punished" anyways: e.g. @lastfm surely detects those to not allow #manipulation by e.g. marketing agencies.
    Normal users get "punished" by losing #credibility from other users, unfollow etc.

tere: that's amazing! how long have you been using it? i started my account in 2014 but i love it lol. i hope so, even though lastfm barely does anything for their users tbh! everytime there's something wrong going on it takes ages for them to fix it 😂

me:

    I'm with #lastfm >8 years...

    > http://last.fm  barely does anything
    I guess they've "restrains" after #CBS acquired 'em :-( And they can't talk about it (#NDA agreements or get fired)

    but:
    there is good thing for @lastfm users this month, check:


       staff at @lastFM are working on a database update, this month...

       This gives us e.g. the ability to:
       - fix wrong artist names,
       - delete scrobbles,
       - unlove tracks, ...

       for #devs:
       - the #lastFM API gets overhauled

       https://music-erkan.blogspot.com/2018/06/lastfm-proceeds-with-database-update.html

    stay excited!


tere: i'm afraid that the site will die since they barely do anything and a lot of people left after the new design, especially since they deleted the friends, forums, groups..

me:
    it depends what their mother company #CBS wants

    I saw for a while how #spotify "took away" users, interestingly @spotify didn't yet eat @lastfm up, so probably there's an "agreement" ;-)

    There are #opensource alternatives like @librefm -> could be made better to copycat #lastfm

tere: i wish they just let us move our scrobbles to whatever new site kills lastfm when it happens tbh!

me:
    Well, #lastfm allows easily to #backup/#export one's data

    ... and with tools from @librefm one can import those

    So, that's a no-barrier

    There's probably a reason why we have not yet a "real competitor" to @lastfm
    e.g. @spotify could easily do it, they have the resources

tere: i hope lastfm never dies though! i wish i could be a millionare, i'd buy it and make it cool :(

me:
Since @lastfm still exists, after all this "feature cuts",
I doubt they'll disappear...

they'll probably "slowly" get back to their old position

#wishingYouAllTheBestToReachYourMillionScrobbles ;-)


Comments